If you enjoy basking in the beauty of nature, you’ll want to head to Mentone, Alabama this weekend for the Rhododendron Festival. The event is held annually by the Mentone Area Preservation Association during the third weekend in May. MAPA President LC Moon says that the event will kick off with a fish fry tonight. The festival will be highlighted by music, art, delicious food, and more.
Showers and thunderstorms are moving back into this area as we head into the weekend. The National Weather Service predicts a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms for today and on into tonight, with daytime highs around 83 and overnight lows around 63. There’s a 70 percent chance of showers on tap for tomorrow, with a thunderstorm possible and a high near 81. Showers and thunderstorms are in the forecast thru the duration of the weekend.
The Georgia Department of Labor has reported that Georgia’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate declined to 8.2 percent in April, down from 8.4 percent in March and from 9.1 percent in April 2012.
Floyd GOP Chairwoman Layla Shipman is headed to Athens today for the Georgia Republican Party’s 2013 State Convention, which is being held over the weekend at the home of the Georgia Bulldogs. Shipman says that as a member of the state committee, she will be voting on statewide issues today.
The next few days will be very exciting for Rome and Floyd County as filming takes place for a major motion picture entitled “Need for Speed”. A helicopter will hover over the Myrtle Hill Cemetery today as a funeral scene is filmed there. That will lead to the closure of the cemetery, along with a section of Pennington Avenue between Myrtle Street and Branham Avenue from noon until 6 pm.
A major motion picture will be partially filmed in Floyd County starting tomorrow. “Need for Speed” is a Dreamworks film starring Michael Keaton, along with Dominic Cooper, Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots. Filming will continue through the weekend in various locations around the area, according to Lisa Smith, Executive Director of the Greater Rome Convention and Visitors Bureau. Those locations include the Rome Bypass from Highway 27 to Blacks Bluff Road, Cave Spring Road, and Historic Myrtle Hill Cemetery. There will be some road closures and traffic delays to accommodate the filming.