Severe weather swept through Northwest Georgia on Thursday, which led to flooding as well as downed trees and limbs around Floyd County. There were even some reports by locals of tornadic activity. A little more than four and a half inches of rain were reported by the National Weather Service at Rome’s Russell Regional Airport from Thursday morning through Friday at 1:53 am. A flood watch remains in effect for a number of area waterways through most of the weekend.
Weather concerns led to a number of cancellations for today. Here is the list:
- Due to flooding, closed roads, and potential storm damage, Floyd County Schools will be closed for all staff and students. Please note that all after-school activities are canceled as well.
- Out of an abundance of caution, Rome City Schools is canceling classes for all faculty, staff, and in-person and virtual students. Weather in our area has caused hazardous road conditions and flooding that could be too dangerous for travel. Please keep an eye on the RCS website and social media pages for updates.
- Due to flooding on campus and uncertain road conditions, Darlington will be closed. It is their hope that they will be able to stage the Upper School play this evening.
- Unity Christian School will be closed for all staff and students due to flooding, road closures, and potential storm damage. After-school activities are canceled as well.
- St. Mary’s Catholic School
Updates about road conditions are posted on Facebook via the Floyd County E-911 page.