(Georgia Department of Labor media release):
Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler said Thursday that Rome recorded an all-time low unemployment rate of 2.4 percent, down five-tenths of a percent over the month. A year ago, the rate was 5.3 percent.
“We are seeing all-time low unemployment rates throughout the state of Georgia reflecting an economy that is continuing to rapidly recover,” said Commissioner Mark Butler. “We are working with employers across the state to post, recruit, and fill critical positions in preparation for a strong holiday employment season.”
The labor force increased in Rome by 297 and ended the month with 43,635. That number is up 1,826 when compared to September of 2020.
Rome finished the month with 42,578 employed residents. That number increased by 486 over the month and is up by 2,968 when compared to the same time a year ago.
Rome ended September with 41,000 jobs. That number increased 300 from August to September and increased by 1,200 when compared to this time last year.
The number of unemployment claims went up by 3 percent in Rome in September. When compared to last September, claims were down by about 83 percent.
Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed about 540 active job postings in Rome for September.
Visit dol.georgia.gov to learn more about career opportunities, Employ Georgia, and other GDOL services for job seekers and employers and to connect with us on social media.
TABLES AND GRAPHS REFLECTING LABOR MARKET DATA ARE AVAILABLE AT https://dol.georgia.gov/current-labor-force-data-and-graphs
Commissioner Butler said Thursday that all regional commissions in the state recorded a decrease in the unemployment rate and in the number of initial claims filed.
The labor force increased in the Atlanta Regional Commission, GA Mountains, Northeast GA, and Northwest GA Commission.
Employment was up in the Atlanta Regional Commission, Coastal GA, GA Mountains, Middle GA, Northeast GA, Northwest GA, River Valley, and Three Rivers Commission.
Northwest Georgia Regional Commission – Bartow, Catoosa, Chattooga, Dade, Fannin, Floyd, Gilmer, Gordon, Haralson, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Walker, and Whitfield counties.
- The September preliminary unemployment rate was down six-tenths to 2.1 percent over the month. The rate was 4.8 percent one year ago.
- The labor force was up 690 over the month and up 20,379 over the year to 421,921.
- The number of employed was up 2,899 over the month and up 30,680 over the year to 412,925.
- Initial claims were down 412 (-16%) over the month and down 12,417 (-85%) over the year to 2,179.
- Initial claims were down over the month in Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, and down over the year in Manufacturing and Accommodation and Food Services.
- There were 4,909 jobs posted on Employ Georgia.