(Media release from the Georgia Department of Labor):
Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler said Thursday that Rome recorded an unemployment rate of 3.1 percent in August, up three-tenths of a percent over the month. A year ago, the rate was 3.6 percent.
“As we look toward the fall, we are committed to supporting the workforce as employers search for seasonal, full-time, and part-time employees to fill vacancies in preparation for the holiday employment season,” said Commissioner Mark Butler.
The labor force decreased in Rome by 255 and ended the month with 43,662. That number is up 274 when compared to August of 2021.
Rome finished the month with 42,318 employed residents. That number decreased by 356 over the month and rose 476 when compared to the same time a year ago.
Jobs were up 100 from July to August and rose 1,300 over the year, to 42,500.
The number of unemployment claims went down by 29 percent in Rome in August. When compared to last August, claims were down by about 8 percent.
Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed about 672 active job postings in Rome for August.
Northwest Georgia Regional Commission – Bartow, Catoosa, Chattooga, Dade, Fannin, Floyd, Gilmer, Gordon, Haralson, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Walker, and Whitfield counties.
- The August preliminary unemployment rate was up two-tenths to 2.9 percent o-t-m, the rate was 3.3 percent one year ago.
- The labor force was down 1,932 o-t-m and up 5,014 o-t-y, to 428,051.
- The number of employed was down 3,053 o-t-m and up 6,526 o-t-y, to 415,495.
- Initial claims were down 547 (-18%) o-t-m and down 83 (-3%) o-t-y, to 2,508.
- Initial claims were down o-t-m in Manufacturing and Trade, and down o-t-y in Trade and Accommodation and Food Services.
- There were 4,283 jobs posted on Employ Georgia.
Visit dol.georgia.gov to learn more about career opportunities, Employ Georgia, and other GDOL services for job seekers and employers, and to connect with us on social media.
TABLES AND GRAPHS REFLECTING LABOR MARKET DATA ARE AVAILABLE AT https://dol.georgia.gov/current-labor-force-data-and-graphs