(Media release from the Georgia Department of Labor):
Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler said late last week that Rome recorded an unemployment rate of 3.2 percent in October, up seven-tenths of a percent over the month. A year ago, the rate was 3.2 percent.
“Job seekers have continued to experience a favorable hiring environment across multiple job sectors, despite a slight uptick in unemployment rates,” said Commissioner Butler. “As we prepare for peak holiday hiring, we encourage job seekers to take advantage of the many employment opportunities, both full-time and part-time, available across Georgia.”
The labor force increased in Rome by 119 and ended the month with 43,888. That number is down 27 when compared to October of 2021.
Rome finished the month with 42,502 employed residents. That number decreased by 165 over the month and rose 14 when compared to the same time a year ago.
Rome ended October with 42,700 jobs. That number increased by 100 from September to October and went up by 1,100 when compared to this time last year.
The number of unemployment claims went up by 1 percent in Rome in October. When compared to last October, claims were up by about 20 percent.
Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed about 687 active job postings in Rome for October.
Northwest Georgia Regional Commission – Bartow, Catoosa, Chattooga, Dade, Fannin, Floyd, Gilmer, Gordon, Haralson, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Walker, and Whitfield counties.
- The October preliminary unemployment rate was up five-tenths to 3.0 percent o-t-m, the rate was 2.9 percent one year ago.
- The labor force was up 1,262 o-t-m and up 2,885 o-t-y, to 430,737.
- The number of employed was down 1,300 o-t-m and up 2,030 o-t-y, to 417,631.
- Initial claims were up 638 (23%) o-t-m and up 1,888 (123%) o-t-y, to 3,427.
- Initial claims were up o-t-m in Manufacturing and Trade, and up o-t-y in Wholesale Trade and Manufacturing.
- There were 5,022 jobs posted on Employ Georgia.
Visit dol.georgia.gov to learn more about career opportunities, Employ Georgia, and other GDOL services for job seekers and employers, and to connect with us on social media.
TABLES AND GRAPHS REFLECTING LABOR MARKET DATA ARE AVAILABLE AT https://dol.georgia.gov/current-labor-force-data-and-graphs