The Rome Celebrity Dance Challenge will return on Saturday, August 5th to the Rome City Auditorium for the first time since 2019. The show will begin at 7 pm; doors will open at 6 pm.
The event, modeled after TV’s ‘Dancing With The Stars’, is a fundraiser for the Sexual Assault Center of Northwest Georgia. Kimberly King, Executive Director, attests that she looks forward to its return and is grateful for support from the dancers and the community.
King adds that she is eager for the community to come together once again and have some fun at the RCDC.
As of Thursday, July 27th, over $176,000 had been raised towards the RCDC, already exceeding this year’s goal of $100,000, according to King.
A limited number of general admission tickets remain available for $35 each on the event website at www.romecelebritydancechallenge.com. King attests that some of the team members still have a few patron tickets for sale at $125 apiece.
Here’s the list of this year’s competitors:
- Cpt. Grant Collier of Rome Floyd Fire Department dancing with his wife, Hope Collier of Hair Fifth Avenue, with choreography assistance from Summer Fincher of Rome Civic Ballet
- LaDonna Collins of the Rome Floyd County Commission on Children & Youth dancing with her husband, Eric Collins of the Rome Floyd Chamber, with choreography assistance from Kimberly Vaughn, Grambling University School Band dance instructor
- Susie Franklin of Publix Pharmacy dancing with Vlad Rekun of Jones Dancesport Ballroom in Marietta, Ga.
- Dr. Dixon Freeman, longtime OB/GYN resident at Northwest Georgia Medical Clinic, dancing with Dicie Waters of The Dance Centre and Rome Middle School
- Dr. Robersteen Howard of Harbin Clinic dancing with her husband, Dr. Kenneth Howard of Harbin Clinic, with choreography assistance from Kathy Baird of Baird Ballet
- Billy Newby of Newby Farm & Vineyard dancing with Hannah Camacho of The Dance Centre and Baird Ballet
- Charity Perez of Rock N’ Roll Sushi dancing with Adolfo Chacon of the YMCA of Rome-Floyd County and Chacon Quality Paint
- Dr. Henaro Sabino of Harbin Clinic dancing with Amanda DeWitt of Ideal Meals and Rome Athletic Club
- Caleigh Schroeder of Schroeder’s New Deli dancing with Russell Evans of The UPS Store with choreography assistance from Maggie Grace Brinson of The Dance Centre
- David Thornton of the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office dancing with Lacey Lionetti of Coosa High School
- Megan Treglown of the Downtown Development Authority dancing with Nicky Mann of Woodmann Creations
- Mimi Weed of Mel & Mimi dancing with her daughter-in-law, Jackie Weed of West End Elementary School
The dancers will compete for the Judges’ Choice Award, to be determined by a panel of judges, and the People’s Choice Award, which is determined by community support in the form of funds donated.
Community members may vote for their favorite team (or teams) online at www.romecelebritydancechallenge.com. Event attendees will also have the opportunity to vote during the show after each team performs.
Get event updates by searching for Rome Celebrity Dance Challenge on Facebook.