WLAQ 1410 Webcast
Click Here to Listen Live!
Website Designed by Kadance Creative Floyd Medical Center
advertisements

FIREWORKS A PART OF YOUR NEW YEAR’S FESTIVITIES? USE CAUTION!!!

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in News/Weather

Planning on making fireworks a part of your New Year’s festivities?  The Rome Fire Department always recommends going to see a professional display instead of shooting off your own fireworks, but there are no professional displays scheduled for the Rome area to ring in the New Year.  Therefore, the RFD’s fire safety educators have some tips for those who will be using fireworks tonight.  Daniel Carpenter says that, most importantly, you should use fireworks that are legal in the state of Georgia.  He also says to pay close attention to children and teenagers while they are using fireworks, such as sparklers, which can burn at over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.

WILLIAMS’ TIME AS FLOYD COUNTY MANAGER DRAWS TO A CLOSE

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in News/Weather

Today is the final day for Blaine Williams to serve as Floyd County Manager.  Starting tomorrow, Finance Director Gary Burkhalter will serve as interim county manager until a permanent replacement for Williams is found.  Williams is leaving Floyd County to take the position of assistant county manager for Athens-Clarke County, which he will assume on January 7th.  Williams took over as Floyd County Manager at the beginning of this year after serving about five years as assistant county manager.

FALCONS FALL TO BUCS IN REGULAR SEASON CLOSER

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in Sports

The Atlanta Falcons closed out the 2012 regular season with a loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 22-17 yesterday at the Georgia Dome.  The NFC South champion Falcons finished the regular season with a 13-3 record and are now headed to the playoffs.  According to the NFL’s website, they’ll play in the first round of the NFC playoffs on Sunday, January 13th, with their opponent to be determined.  You can follow the Falcons in the playoffs on 95.7 FM The Ridge, Northwest Georgia’s radio home for Atlanta Falcons football.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL UPDATE

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in Sports

Local college basketball teams hit the hardwood over the weekend…

SENATOR BARRY LOUDERMILK BIDS FAREWELL TO 52ND DISTRICT

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in News/Weather

There will be some changes among local legislators when the New Year begins.  For one, State Senator Barry Loudermilk will no longer represent the 52nd district.  He is being moved to the new 14th district, which encompasses half of Bartow County, most of Cherokee County and a small part of Cobb County.  Loudermilk says that he has enjoyed serving the people of Floyd County and that he intends to ‘keep in touch’.

RAINY START EXPECTED FOR NEW YEAR

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in News/Weather

Look for a rainy start to 2013.  The National Weather Service predicts that rain will move into the area overnight and continue thru New Year’s night.  Today’s forecast calls for partly cloudy skies and a high near 53.  Rain is likely tonight (a 40 percent chance), mainly after 4 am.  Lows will be around 41. A 100 percent chance of rain is in the forecast for New Year’s Day tomorrow with highs near 52, to be followed by a 60 percent chance of rain tomorrow night (mainly before midnight), cloudy skies, and a low around 39.

GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS READY TO FACE USC IN HYUNDAI SUN BOWL; LISTEN ON WLAQ

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in Sports

Today’s the big day that the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets face USC in the Hyundai Sun Bowl.  Kick off is set for 2 pm in El Paso, Texas.  The game will be broadcast on WLAQ AM 1410, Rome’s radio home for Georgia Tech football.  Pre-game programming will begin at noon.

HAWKS TO CLOSE OUT 2012 IN HOUSTON TONIGHT

Written by Matt Davis on December 31, 2012. Posted in Sports

The Atlanta Hawks will end the year 2012 in Houston tonight against the Rockets.  Tip off is set for 7 pm.  The game will be televised on Sport South.

Etowah Employment
advertisement
Rome Georgia Forum Proctor-Keene Chiropractic Clinic The Babcock Agency
advertisements